I forgot to talk about Tuesday's supper. We had gone again to the fish market and they were open. It took a while to decide but lots of people kept coming and buying a big paper cone full of little fish. When it was our turn they decided to try some too. No one spoke English so through translation apps from both sides, we learned they were anchovies. They reminded me of smelts only smaller and they were cooked the same way. David also got some squid (calamari) and prepared it. He's holding the bone (looks like a piece of plastic)
Last night ( Wed) there were fireworks again just as I was about to go to bed. We have seen them a few different nights and a couple of, pointless ones, in the day. Seems like it may be restaurants that fire them.
It's kind of fun to be able to watch from my balcony. It reminds me of seeing them when I was in Russia.
When I got up Thursday it was a bit grey but not windy or cold so I decided I would still walk. I headed along the promenade and when I passed the cemetery, that I'd been curious about, I decided today was the day I'd go in. I watched several people enter so I figured it was permissible. It fascinates me how the graves are handled in different places. This one has a high stone wall all around and it covers a huge area with many paths through the graves. It is peaceful and there are benches to sit on.

Huge walls with crypts, I suppose, and ladder stairs to replenish your flowers.
A new area being prepared


most had a picture on them, a border around that might contain personal items, I suppose about their life

this was inside a glass room , probably a family

I assume various treatments are determined by how much money you have. Here were some names simply carved in the cement.
For some this may seem like a morbid fascination, but I like wandering through and reading dates and imagining lives.
As I continued my walk I passed by what I had expected was an elementary school and it was confirmed today as many people were arriving and dropping off their children. It almost looked like a day we have in the spring where new students are brought for the day to experience the school they will enter the following year. I say that because the children were very young, some being carried, and some of the parents lingered looking through the windows. At the other wing, the kids seemed to be older.
Later in the day, David and I went to scope out a laundromat. He has been sending his clothes out for washing. It's the same laundromat we found. For 10€, they pick up his bag of dirty clothes, wash, dry, fold and return. I think it would be worth it as a washer alone costs 4€, dryer 2€.
David and I booked my air ticket home today. It was over half the price of my flight here. I'm not revealing the date yet though.
Tonight we had pizza again, making the most of the time we have left. It's sooooo good. The laundry went out late afternoon and was returned in the evening.
Friday 22- the sky was grey again today and huge waves, but by the time Karen had finished a lesson the sun had come out and it was really warm. We took the 2 little ones to The Tiny House for pancakes. We had coffee but they had lemonade for Tedy and hot chocolate for Joanna that was so thick, like pudding, she ate it with a spoon. Tedy had white chocolate on his pancakes and Joanna had fondant. There were endless toppings, mostly unusual to me, but sounded delicious. Guess I must be slacking off. I didn't take any pictures of that experience.
I couldn't stop taking pictures of the waves though, all day. They were splashing up against the rocks everywhere like we had not seen. It was mesmerizing!
Tedy decided that for Earth Day they should pick up garbage on the beach, which would have been an all day job. They each managed to do one bag before the enthusiasm wore off.
David and the kids and I set out to find the best splash pictures. We went out on the wharf/walkway and later out on the far reaches of the marina. We had fun and got some good shots, wet but safely.

on the wharf trying for the best shot, biggest wave

surfers waiting for their wave
The marina


poses
Another pose but missed the big one
.jpg)
Looked all wooden, Denmark flag
When we got back we stopped for gelato. They'd had some the other day, but it was my first. It's worth all the hype. So good! As we sat and ate it( again without pictures) we were joined by an inquisitive native. Then the kids continued to have a blast in the waves.
The whole day was spent outside, a real treat for our final full day here.
An amazing day. I am so grateful that you shared it with us. Love all the pics. I'm a graveyard person too - so many stories!
ReplyDelete