Skip to main content

Saturday's Adventures

 April 11

Where to begin...There hasn't even been time to write each day so I will try to catch you up.

Friday was a beautiful day in Nice; the kind I'd been waiting for; an outdoor, coffee on the patio kind of day. 

Tuesday walk after I surprised them


Friday in the sun. 

I still feel like I have no control over this format so I'll just keep writing.

Thursday was a quiet recovering day. Friday was errands and packing day. 

Saturday was up at 2:00 day for Karen and Charlie as she had to drive him to a train station inside Italy to take the dog. He went up to Rome, then down to Naples, where he met up with us. We had left, after Karen returned, at 6:30 by bus to tram to airport and flown to Naples(Napoli). Just a 1.5 hour flight for us. We landed and made our way to buy tickets for a shuttle to Napoli center train station. Once there we had over 3 hours to wait for Charlie and depart on our train.

We got our bearings at the station and looked for a locker to stow our bags but all we found was a place to check them for 5€ EACH. We had each a large backpack, 2 other bags which were mine and Karen's "purses" and a shopping bag with snacks and lunch. So, we decided to keep carrying them. On her phone, Karen found what looked like a park so we decided to walk there and have our lunch. It took us almost half an hour, me being the slowest. It was more like a plaza with tile instead of grass, some big sculptures/buildings, but mainly places to sit. No cars and their noise was nice, but there were little electric cars driving within all the time. Security.




 We got out our food and Karen left us there to go searching for water as we had nothing to drink. After a very long( or it seemed so to the kids) she returned with a case of 6 - 2 l.  bottles, much appreciated.  We had finished eating and the kids were playing. She had her lunch, and then we made our way back to the train by a somewhat different route. If you only have 3 hours in Napoli you certainly want to see more than one street. We got back just as Charlie's train was arriving so Tedy and I sat with all the bags, 

while she and Joanna went looking. He was also looking for them and they quickly met. Then, they left the dog and went looking for a bathroom. Joanna came dashing back because they needed money to get in. When all that was taken care of, we kept waiting for our gate to be posted and Karen took the dog out for a little 'walk'. Our time was running out by the time she returned and trains wait for no one. We went the full length of gate looking for somewhere to go in, and finally she said to one 'gatekeeper' , we HAVE to get in; our train is leaving. We found our train and started to run for our car but thankfully decided to hop on and seek our seats. Fortunately we did that as the train closed and pulled out before we were seated. Phew! That's done. Now just one more change. 

Another great story from the park was...Karen had seen a little cafe on her walk and we opted to get a coffee while the kids ran around some more. She got espresso and I got Americano, which seems to be the same thing with a little pitcher of hot water to add. It was so cute, I said I'm going to ask to buy it. When I went in to pay, I asked, "can I buy this?" and there happened to be a man there who knew English and translated to the owner. The owner said (through translation), "It's a gift!" I said, "it's my first day."The English speaker said, "enjoy Napoli."

Saturday 19:13 was our last train. We stood on platform 7, and then Karen spied a car farther up on the same track and went up to inquire. Sure enough it was our train. We got on and found seats and then I got off to take pictures because we were lots early. This one took us the rest of the way to Crotone, with a lot of stops, but it was now too dark to see. 

David came running up to greet us and introduced us to Ciccio, another coach. Because it would take 2 cars to transport us, his wife, Tanya, had come with her car too. We loaded up. I was in Ciccio's car. He tried very hard to make conversation with his limited English, but I got that it was beautiful in the morning with the blue water and David's B&B is on the water. We arrived and unloaded. He left his car parked here as he would return in the morning for a practice with flag team, and then, come and get us with someone else, for 'lunch' at his house.
This is not a B&B  as we know it, but like an apartment with 3 bedrooms(bathrooms included) and a communal kitchen.


It is very nice and because the other room has another coach from Canada, it feels like a home. He is Greek, Dimos, 1st generation Canadian, but after several seasons has a good grasp of Italian.
We stowed ourselves and very shortly Charlie retired to bed. He wasn't even interested in going on a walkabout with us to get pizza.
The rest of us, including Ribsy, got a bit of the tour of the street along the water, which was buzzing with pedestrians enjoying their Saturday evening. 


We stopped and said hi to a former president and player whose restaurant/ bar is Giorgio's. Then we went on another street to find this amazing pizza that we were given samples of while he boxed the 3 different kinds, 6X6 in. that David had selected. Oh, my, delicioso! We stopped for Karen to get a Poki bowl as she's gluten intolerant. It was a long wait, and now getting cold,  because they were very busy. We came home to eat, and then sorted out the beds. I was last in so took the last spot that was left.
Sunday is a story unto itself so I will finish this and begin again at some point. Everyone is up now so my concentration had waned.

Comments

  1. What an amazing journey to see your beautiful family...What memories for you all.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

17- All Good Things Come to an End

  My latest caricature created from my  birthday picture at Richard's  (My teeth are definitely not that perfect, but thanks AI) March is ending and so is my visit in France. I've tried to capture and share some of the beauty, and the fun I've had. The weekend of March 21 the Elite team had a home game so I decided to go exploring for the day till game time at 4. I got off the bus in Gières and walked down to the beginning of B tram. I deposited an English book I'd brought with me at the free library at that stop. It has a note in it asking if the person who takes it would contact me. I'm anxious to see if someone will. I got on the B tram with no plan but as I went, I thought I would ride it all the way as I have done a couple other lines. It's a great way to see the city and get the 'lay of the land'. I didn't realized how far it went. From my seat I could people watch, window shop, and even tour some of the campus and ended up on the other side of...

13- Wow! It's February

  I've seen several memes of shock that it's February and I thought the same. But, I am happy for each change as spring marches toward us. Our days are getting longer and dawn comes earlier. I'm not a bird-er, but I used my Merlin app to record the pre-dawn serenade through my open window and this is the singer. He has several songs, some more melodious than others. I thought it was more than one species but Merlin only comes up with this fellow.  I walk the dog in an empty space behind the school where I can let him off leash. This is what I encountered one day as I strolled in the leaves. Don't look too closely at first, and what do you suppose I thought? It took my heart a little while to settle down from the startle factor and then I laughed and got a picture.  I attended a Tony Robbins webinar on line for 3 days, well evenings for me, because of being ahead 6 hours. I, also, was following a missing person reports from home, with no positive results as yet. Sunday 1...

14- Enjoying Olympics

We've had so much rain, so on my walk this morning, when there was no traffic, I actually heard the waterfall. It's not very visible from the road but the sound reminded me to look up.  We enjoyed Tedy's 15th birthday with his requested supper of Chicken Caesar and Joanna made chocolate chip cookies to turn into ice cream sandwiches. David's desk is in the room where I spend my time, so we've shared a lot of the highs and lows for Canada, as he works away on his football plans and watching film. Last night, while he was at practice , I witnessed Canada Women's Hockey and shared the sorrow of their overtime loss of gold. Right now I'm in the midst of cheering women's curling semi-final against Sweden. GO CANADA GO! Spring is starting to show its sweet face, but I guess, there's been an unusual amount of rain, and Karen has been telling me about hearing reports of avalanches, including one that shut down the trains to and from Valence area.  Football s...