Friday August 19 (before school)(bold and pics added after school)
We're about to go to the school to finish my first full week of work, if you can call it that. We had to be there each day from 9-3 to prepare our Learning Centers, but Mrs. Olga had done most everything that could be done as she was going on holidays these 2 weeks and will only get back for school on Sept. 1. She did ask me to make 2 bulletin boards which I finished and now I am cutting shapes for the numbers of each months calendar- leaves for Sept., pumpkins for Oct., turkeys for Nov., etc.
I did receive the class list and it looks like there will be 19 in our L.C. which is called Junior 1 and has children age 11-13. After that there is Junior High and the Senior and then Senior 1. The other L.C.'s are Pre-school, ABC's, Primary, Primary 1, Junior, etc. I'm not sure how all the divisions go.
This week we also had a training day on the STMS which is the record keeping for the students marks and family info, etc. Mr. Ndirowei thinks that Mrs. Olga does not like to do this part so hopefully she might trust me to which I would really enjoy.
Today there is supposed to be someone coming for a tour of the school and Mr. Len has asked me to be the person to tell them about the program. I think Mrs. Helen will give the tour and I will go along. I'm not sure exactly what's expected of me , but I think I am the 'token English speaker' to help validate them to foreigners, although they all speak excellent English. I'll know more by the time I post this at the end of the day. [ I met the man but I didn't have to go with her, she said]
On the home front we now have dishes and cutlery, 3 pots and a pan, and ample bedding (which the landlady sent the other day). They also brought another TV which is not of much use to us AND the router for what we hope will be our wifi, possibly today. [They hooked us up but couldn't get wifi so we have to fight over the plug-in or share]. There is to be a washing machine coming soon, we hope, and that will give us the minimum we can function with, I guess. I didn't bring my iron because I was told there was one, but that, of course, was in the other apartment.
1.Coming in our door and looking down the hall- Liz's room is the glass door on the left and at the end is my room on the left and the'living room' on the right.
2. The two parts of the bathroom separated by a wall. Convenient because you can use either part and not tie up the whole bathroom.
3. Kitchen work area
4. Kitchen table and view out the window. Nice windows that swing open or tilt open.
5. The living room which will become a 3rd bedroom if we get another room-mate. It has a balcony as does my room so we can see out both sides of the building. That's what makes our apartment extra large. Otherwise it would end at the hall wall.
9. my bed; I was Betsy Ross the day I took these. I had sewn several U.S. flags as seen on my bed.
8. view from bed out to balcony
7. view from balcony. We're on the 4th floor. Most of the time I try to walk up and down for exercise.
6. Faint glimpse of the corner of the school roof to show how close we are. It's just under the arch of the hanging branch, not really visible. Aren't the branches beautiful?
Every day I am grateful that we live next door to the school so at the end of the day it does not take an hour or so to get home, like in times past. When winter comes and we are really working I'm sure I will be even more grateful. One lady, Alla, who teaches Biology and crafts in the Russian program, travels 100 km. by car each way, every day and Mr. Ndirowei has to get up at 6, so he must come quite far too.
I guess tomorrow we may go to an air show. We will have to leave by 7:00 and take Metro, then electric train, then bus, but we are going with some Russian staff so it will be OK and more learning. I'll try to get some pics although my camera gives fuzzy shots lately.
Comments
Post a Comment