Skip to main content

Finally, I'm online...but not from my place

Wednesday August 10
Well I arrived in Moscow, pretty much on schedule, shortly after noontime here. I was not required to open my bags or go through any checks so I pretty much walked right in. I watched for someone carrying a sign for School of Tomorrow,but saaw no one. I waited for most of the crowd to clear and began to look around. I noticed a man standing with a sign, out of my range of vision so I walked closer and discovered this was the man waiting for me. We loaded my luggage into the car and made the drive from Domodedovo airport to the school.
Mr. Len and Mrs. Olga greeted me and we went to his office. After a little chat, they suggested that I might want to eat the food that was left for me in the cafeteria. When I finished there we went to grret the teachers in the training session and said I would see them tomorrow. They then showed me to my apartment and we took Mr. Victor with us to see the repairs that need to be made.
Thus begins the series of unexpected changes. They decided that the apartment they currently had was not acceptable anymore so just that day they had rented this new one. Therefore, anythinbg I was prepared to find was not there. As a matter of fact there is nothing there right now but a little furniture. No dishes, no food, no water, AND no internet. This is the reason those who expected to hear from me are only now reading this.
After I got unpacked, I rested briefly and then Mr. Len and Liz, the girl who will share this apartment, arrived to take me to their place for supper. After we'd eaten we went to find a cell phone to buy, as mine will not function with just a new SIM card as I had hoped. They dropped me back at my place for the night and when I got inside I realized I'd forgotten to bring in the jug of water they'd given me...OH well.:-(
That was just the beginning of the story. I played with my phone for a while and then decided I should go to bed as training resumes at 8:45 in the morning. I set my new phone for the alarm and quickly dropped off to sleep. I woke thinking the alarm would soon sound but after much waiting I decided to check the time. IT WAS 3:30 a.m. :-((
I lay back down but, of course, no more sleep would come. Finally I dozed for a bit and woke again. It was now daylight so I decided to check rather than wait. IT WAS 8:20 a.m. :-((( I had set my alarm but the phone was on 24 hr. time and I'd set for 12 hr. time. Fortunately, the school is just next door and since I didn't have food or drink there was no delay to me arriving on time.
I walked to the gate which didn't open, but fortunately the security guard saw me before I got away and opened it for me. No one had told me what to do there. She greeted me and chatted away in Russian, wasted on me. She showed me the coatroom and then I rushed off to the Learning Center where I was told we would congregate. It was locked...NOW WHAT??? I hurried down another hall and found them in the Rally hall and so began the day.
Now it is finished and I am back in my apartment again, listening to Russian on TV, and typing this in hopes of sending it tomorrow. I came prepared with plug adapters, but didn't realize that none of them had the 3-prong capacity that my computer needs, so I won't even be able to play with the computer for very long. I was able to help today with the training and meet several of the attendees and learned their names and some of their story -Natalia, Marina, Natasha, _ , Miriam, Carol , Maria, Svetlana , Irina, Deborah, Valerie, Liz, Natalia, Anya, _ , _ . I was also very excited to find the mother of my friend, Masha, is still working at the school and she will tell her that I am here. Masha is now married. That's exciting!!! :-)
Tomorrow the training will finish and they will be on their way back to their towns/cities and hopefully we will get more settled in. Just had a call from Len about supper so we will see what transpires next. AFN...dosvedanya

Comments

  1. Good to hear you arrived safely. I hope all the bugs get worked out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

17- All Good Things Come to an End

  My latest caricature created from my  birthday picture at Richard's  (My teeth are definitely not that perfect, but thanks AI) March is ending and so is my visit in France. I've tried to capture and share some of the beauty, and the fun I've had. The weekend of March 21 the Elite team had a home game so I decided to go exploring for the day till game time at 4. I got off the bus in Gières and walked down to the beginning of B tram. I deposited an English book I'd brought with me at the free library at that stop. It has a note in it asking if the person who takes it would contact me. I'm anxious to see if someone will. I got on the B tram with no plan but as I went, I thought I would ride it all the way as I have done a couple other lines. It's a great way to see the city and get the 'lay of the land'. I didn't realized how far it went. From my seat I could people watch, window shop, and even tour some of the campus and ended up on the other side of...

13- Wow! It's February

  I've seen several memes of shock that it's February and I thought the same. But, I am happy for each change as spring marches toward us. Our days are getting longer and dawn comes earlier. I'm not a bird-er, but I used my Merlin app to record the pre-dawn serenade through my open window and this is the singer. He has several songs, some more melodious than others. I thought it was more than one species but Merlin only comes up with this fellow.  I walk the dog in an empty space behind the school where I can let him off leash. This is what I encountered one day as I strolled in the leaves. Don't look too closely at first, and what do you suppose I thought? It took my heart a little while to settle down from the startle factor and then I laughed and got a picture.  I attended a Tony Robbins webinar on line for 3 days, well evenings for me, because of being ahead 6 hours. I, also, was following a missing person reports from home, with no positive results as yet. Sunday 1...

14- Enjoying Olympics

We've had so much rain, so on my walk this morning, when there was no traffic, I actually heard the waterfall. It's not very visible from the road but the sound reminded me to look up.  We enjoyed Tedy's 15th birthday with his requested supper of Chicken Caesar and Joanna made chocolate chip cookies to turn into ice cream sandwiches. David's desk is in the room where I spend my time, so we've shared a lot of the highs and lows for Canada, as he works away on his football plans and watching film. Last night, while he was at practice , I witnessed Canada Women's Hockey and shared the sorrow of their overtime loss of gold. Right now I'm in the midst of cheering women's curling semi-final against Sweden. GO CANADA GO! Spring is starting to show its sweet face, but I guess, there's been an unusual amount of rain, and Karen has been telling me about hearing reports of avalanches, including one that shut down the trains to and from Valence area.  Football s...