A little excitement today. Karen was gone for the day to a coaches' clinic, and Charlie left for the train to go to Grenoble to travel with his team to Valence for a match. Since the snow 'storm' the trains have been erratic. He called to say his train was late and the next one would cause him to miss the trip. David can't drive because of his arm, so...it was up to me. David made arrangements for us to meet up with the bus on the highway, so he told Charlie to walk back home. In the meantime, another teammate called and asked us to drive him too, so we had to go to Voiron station and pick him up. I was really nervous about the idea of driving in a foreign country, standard shift and unknown roads. We borrowed Mme. Blondeau's car which is automatic, so one less concern and David directed me with every turn. We made it safely. ...Grandma to the rescue. 😊
There was rain in Valence so it was a mud bowl.
There was rain in Valence so it was a mud bowl.
Charlie is 59, if you can find him.
Saturday night there were friends over and we had tartiflette for supper, and played Mexican Train for the evening. Chantal brought canelés, which I had eaten at the Copper Museum in Quebec City on my Gaspé trip. Lots of fun.
Sunday, Samuel also had a game on the same field, but we got to go to this one. The day was pleasant enough, but the field was still a mess. Samuel finished in the same condition as Charlie. I referred to it as the weekend of the Mud Bowls.
This picture was captured from Antoine Buche who does all the team photography. That's Sam snapping on the right with the white wrist band.
Samuel is #56, and plays Center so one picture is of him snapping the ball back to the quarterback, in red sleeve, but you can hardly see Sam.
Before Sam's trip he had to be taken into Grenoble, but they also needed the van, so once again I was called into service to drive their car to pick up Karen. This time I drove the standard which turned out to be an important practice.
After the match, one of the players presented with concussion symptoms and they took him to the hospital. One of the coaches went with him and it was the coach who drove the van. Drivers had to be juggled, and Karen drove the van which meant I was needed for the car. I was thankful that I'd had practice since this was an hour long drive on the highway, in the dark, with speed limits up to 130. I was very grateful when we arrived back home, safely.
Our weekend was topped off with the Grey Cup, on here from 12-4 a.m.
The 107th Grey Cup[6] decided the champion of the 2019 season in the Canadian Football League (CFL). The match was played on November 24, 2019 between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at McMahon Stadium in Calgary, Alberta.[7] Winnipeg defeated Hamilton, 33–12. This was the Blue Bombers' first Grey Cup victory since 1990, ending one of the longest championship droughts in CFL history. Winnipeg's Andrew Harris was named both the Most Valuable Player and Most Valuable Canadian of the game.
I'm continuing my walking and yesterday did 4.9 km.















You are a brave woman, tackling foreign roads and highways, in the dark no less. I cringe to think of it. I looked up tartiflette and it looks good, something I'd like to attempt myself in the New Year. Maybe I'll make that one of my new year goals. Did you enjoy it?
ReplyDelete