Sunday, 18th dawned sunny but cold. Sam's football team was playing in Lyon so some of us went to the game. The field was small, no bleachers, and it was cold...I mean Canadian late November football cold. Unfortunately, they lost.
Samuel is in the middle in white with 72 (only 2 showing)
Monday was a nice day. Sunny and warmer than it had been. I'd been telling myself that when it got nicer, I would begin exploring. I walked for about 1.5 hours, and went to the edge of Moirans in one direction and then around through a park to a pond. It's all near their house, but spreading out to see what's around.
It was a lovely walk and very encouraging to go for so long.
Tuesday I decided I'd better keep it up so I walked in a different direction and kind of around the outside of the main town. Again I was gone about 1.5 hr. and really learned more about the layout.
The chapel and ceiling art.

The music- each yellow horn piece was playing different kinds of music. As you wandered through the rooms there were pages with different songs. I took them as they had the music notes as well and I thought I might translate some and play them.
Modern peoples of the Alps.
It was a good game but not the desired outcome. We lost 35-26. Again it was bitter cold with a wind, It was so cold that Karen took the 3 young ones home at half time. We just don't have enough clothes for this kind of weather.
He's the centre. (white, crouched down)
Samuel is in the middle in white with 72 (only 2 showing)
Monday was a nice day. Sunny and warmer than it had been. I'd been telling myself that when it got nicer, I would begin exploring. I walked for about 1.5 hours, and went to the edge of Moirans in one direction and then around through a park to a pond. It's all near their house, but spreading out to see what's around.
The flowers are starting to pop up everywhere, and I mean everywhere. The grass has tiny flowers all through it. (see below)
Tuesday I decided I'd better keep it up so I walked in a different direction and kind of around the outside of the main town. Again I was gone about 1.5 hr. and really learned more about the layout.
Église Saint-Pierre de Moirans- they tell me it's over 1000 years old.
Park Martin
I love old buildings. This one looked very old complete with moss on the roof.
Wednesday afternoon, Karen had to go to Grenoble for a meeting and then football practice. Charlie was involved all week in activities with his football team, so the other 4 and I went to the park and had a Nerf war and some frisbee tossing. Then Sam cooked supper and Madeline did bedtime.
Thursday afternoon Tedy went to a birthday party so Karen and I walked him over and then spent the waiting time at a cafe playing Phase 10 and enjoying our coffee and hot chocolate. I love the relaxed atmosphere. No one disturbed us or expected us to leave when our drinks were done. We spent 2 hours there enjoying our game.
Friday we had another family day and this time we went into Grenoble and, at the foot of the Bastille, we visited the Musee Dauphinois. It has a huge exhibit of Olympic history as Grenoble had hosted Winter Games in 1968-50 yr. ago. There were also other exhibits of Music, Lesdiguières-the forgotten Prince, and the People of the Alps spread over 4 levels. Everything was written in French much beyond my capabilities, so I just enjoyed looking and seeing the displays, but couldn't learn much from the writings.
We started below that in a chapel which was the basis for this building. There was a lot more history than I can relate to you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musée_dauphinois
the founder of the museum in 1906.
The chapel and ceiling art.
Charlie and I trying to look solemn enough for the chairs we occupied.
The Olympic village of 1968.
The music- each yellow horn piece was playing different kinds of music. As you wandered through the rooms there were pages with different songs. I took them as they had the music notes as well and I thought I might translate some and play them.
People of the Alps
One of the inner courtyards with a sundial.
Modern peoples of the Alps.
Another garden outside the chapel.
Saturday afternoon Samuel had another game. The kids stayed home as it was even colder than last week. It was at a stadium in Grenoble, again with no bleachers or shelter.
Sunday was the big home game for the Centaures. It was played at Lesdiguières against Montpelier.
It was a good game but not the desired outcome. We lost 35-26. Again it was bitter cold with a wind, It was so cold that Karen took the 3 young ones home at half time. We just don't have enough clothes for this kind of weather.
So wraps up another fun filled week. I do hope we get some spring-like weather before I have to leave.
Oh my, Jackie, I am green with envy - the history, the architecture, the scenery! I so appreciate you sharing what you're seeing and learning. Glad you're having a wonderful trip! Tell David and Karen hello from me.
ReplyDeletegreat pictures.
ReplyDelete