Well, I believe my brain might have finally caught up, so I will attempt to recapture my trip so far.
Kelley and Norma delivered me to the Halifax airport on Tuesday morning arriving there around 10. I checked in quickly and after bathroom break, I made my way through security. I found gate 18 and then filled my water bottle and ate my breakfast(I'd brought a boiled egg and some crackers). The flight was on time and they offered to check people's carry-on as the flight was full. I went up to offer mine but it had my tablet and medication so they didn't want to take it, but they thanked me for offering. It really helped because onboard I easily found a place in the overhead for my backpack. I was in middle seat 26E, but was unconcerned as it is not a long flight to Toronto. As we were settling in though, I did realized that I'd forgotten earphones. The lady next to me offered her spare set but I refused at first. When she was sure hers worked well she offered again so I accepted.
I watched a couple of episodes of Pachinko, a book I had read, and next thing we were arriving. We got off and I looked for a departure screen to find my gate number. Then off I went in search of it. I had about 2 hours so I was not panicked at all. I easily found the way to my gate, but my fitness app on my phone says I walked almost 2 km. Found a seat; sun was shining in my eyes but there were no others. I ate some crackers and cheese from my stash and then proceeded to figure out how to change my SIM card. I wanted to be sure I didn't get dinged for any roaming when I left. I couldn't figure out how to get it opened, so I messaged Richard who had done it when he gave me the phone. He ended up calling me and found out I think had left today, not Thursday as he thought. He explained how and by 'chance of packing' my sewing kit was in my backpack and I had a needle. I finally got it open but it sprang out and i almost lost it under the chairs. Catastrophe avoided, I found it.
My flight was called and we boarded. My seat was 39D this time, which was, thankfully an aisle. International flights treat you better than domestic. They came around with free ear buds, they feed you without further charges, and you can even have wine with your meal (Hfx. flight had no food unless you paid, no ear buds unless you paid, and all I had was a glass of tomato juice.)
Settled in for our 8 hour 20 minute flight to Frankfurt. My exercise was some trips to the bathroom. My supper was a chicken dish, roll, butter, cheese, salad, chocolate cake, water and wine. Watched some episodes of 1923, then tried to sleep, but mostly all my aches, ached and I struggled around constantly trying to get relief. But, this too shall pass, and we arrived 6 am. Frankfurt time. New day, so new mileage,. This time again almost 2 km. to the furthest gate A69. Again, lots of time to find it and I messaged David that I was almost there. About 8:30, I was boarding the bus to take me to the plane and he was boarding a bus in Grenoble to come and meet me.
We landed in Lyon about 10 am. I followed the crowd to the luggage carousel, and we waited with anxious anticipation for our bags. That's always the biggest surprise, that with all my changing planes and walking kilometers, my bag could arrive with me. With each bag that came out the chute, I said "Thank You, Lord", hoping mine would be next, and then the belt stopped...
For a moment, my heart sank, and then I read on the screen "Milan- complete, Frankfurt- in progress". And then, the buzzer rang and the belt started again. A little longer to hold my breath, and there it was, with its distinctive ribbon. I collected it and made my way to the exit and there was David waiting with open arms. We had a drink, I got some Euros, and then we got the bus to Grenoble.
When we got there we walked to the shops to get me a bus/tram pass, and then to get me a new SIM, and then to catch our bus home, looking for familiar things as we travelled. When we got to the apartment we walked in quietly, and then I called out "is anyone home?" Joanna was home from school and totally surprised, which we hoped for. Tedy was not home and when he finally got home, he saw the suitcase and dashed in yelling, " I know who's here."
The kids and I enjoyed takeout French tacos, a new experience for me. The parents had football practice, so kids and I played games until bedtime. I went to bed shortly after them. Thus, ended Wed.
Glad you got there safely. Heavy rain expected here tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you made it and are enjoying your family in person again. Have a wonderful time!
ReplyDeleteYayyy, you've arrived safe and sound. So happy for you to be settled in there. Keep the blog posts coming.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing Jackie. I am glad you arrived safely and what a wonderful surprise for your grandkids. I will look forward to reading your next log. Take care my dear friend.
ReplyDeleteIt is so much easier to keep up that it was when you took your first trip overseas. Enjoy and keep sharing. I am sending love for the whole family.
ReplyDeleteSo nice to hear that you are back in France enjoying David and his family.
ReplyDelete