Skip to main content

Blog 16- My Last Week



Sunday Jan. 5- 6.19 km. a horse, a hawk and a dandelion




one for you, Kelly and Emily

and some others




https://frenchmoments.eu/epiphany-in-france-lepiphanie-en-france/

 The Epiphany takes place on January the 6th. It celebrates the date of the visit of the Magi to the infant Jesus. On this day the three Wise Men arrived from the East, guided by the Star of Bethlehem, bearing gifts for the divine Infant. In France, it is on 6 January that the Wise Men figurines in the nativity scene are placed around baby Jesus. In the lead up to this date, they were either hidden or being gradually moved closer and closer to the stable. French people also celebrate the Epiphany by eating the “galette des rois” (Kings’ cake) with great ceremony! 

 Why does Epiphany take place on 6 January? At the beginning of the 19th century, the Magi’s visit to Jesus was arbitrarily set to have taken place on 6 January. Originally, the Epiphany was a pagan celebration of light which started during the winter solstice on 21 December. This night is the longest of the year and signifies the return and the renaissance of light. This cycle, through Christmas, lasts 12 days and 12 nights, representing the 12 months of the year, the 12 hours of a day, and the 12 apostles of Christ. The Epiphany is the culmination of this cycle, when days are at their longest. 

La Galette des Rois: a favourite French dessert!

For every French person, the Epiphany is synonymous with the “galette des rois”, a wafer king cake which is eaten ceremoniously a few days before and after 6 January.

The origins of Galette des Rois Since the 14th century, 6 January is the occasion in France to “tirer les rois” (decide who is the king of the day). A porcelain or earthenware figurine (a charm, called “la fêve” in French) or a broad bean, is placed in a traditional flat cake called “galette” whose round shape symbolises the sun. The “Galette des Rois” is made of flaky puff pastry layers. The cake is filled with a dense centre of frangipane. The tradition of the lucky charm Tradition has it that the youngest member of the family goes under the table to call out names for the slices to the different people sitting around the table. The person who finds the lucky charm in their slice of ‘galette’ becomes the king (or queen) of the day and must choose his/her companion.

In the past, the flat cake was divided into as many slices as there were people around the table, plus one slice in case a stranger or a poor person were to come to the house. This extra portion was called the slice of God (“la part du bon Dieu”).

Today, David and several of the Centaures football team will gather at a sponsor's bakery, La Tentation, for the selling of these cakes which will contain Centaures' jerseys as their figurine.
David surprised me with a set of the figurines that would normally be in the galettes, and he brought home 2 cakes for us to do the traditional 'ceremony'.
In the meantime, the kids were going over to play in the park, and unfortunately, Joanna fell. Karen took her to the hospital and 11 hours later, 3 a.m., she returned with a cast. Her wrist bones were broken and one piece was beside the other...a bad bad break. She may now regret not putting on her protective pads as she will be missing skiing, cheerleading and roller skating, among other activities,  while she heals.They are usually given the x-rays to bring home, but Karen laid them down to dress Joanna and will have to pick them up at her appt. on Tues. Then I may be able to show you the break.
Monday Samuel started his new 'stage' ( like a co-op program) which is at the Best Western in Voiron in the kitchen.
 Our drive home from picking him up.
This morning my walk took me along some old and some new roads.
I saw my Friend from the other day
plus hens, a sheep and a donkey, and cows


After many more beautiful scenes captured



I had gone 8.06 km. 
Tuesday some of us took a trip to an outlet village near Lyons. I browsed the stores and got some things while they spent their Christmas money. When I  was done, I did some laps of the pool and fountain and managed to do 2.49 km. 
I waited till the greeting came up in Russian, one of many languages that flashed up.
The entrance
The pool, although it's very dark, is huge 
 Most of the shops are names we would all know
 The playground, aren't they cute, covered with turf; right beside a place where parents can leave their kids while they shop
 Where I got my new hiking shoes
 Some more of the decor
 Workers- looked like they were planning how the coordinated music, lights and fountain would operate, in season
One of the many various designs of chairs (looks like drift wood) probably from the many old trees in the country
In the afternoon, I went with Karen and Joanna for her checkup to see a hospital and medical setup in France. I'm not sure why they built so far up on the mountain, but it was quite a climb, and the you chance finding a parking place or having to drive back down and walk up. Maybe it's to discourage people from going unless absolutely necessary.

The good news is the bones had stayed in place so she'll continue for 3 weeks before she goes again.
They hadn't found the left behind papers so I can't show you a 'before' shot.

I think I'll post this one now because today will be busy with last minute stuff and I may not get a chance to get it done. I fly Thursday at noon and will be back in Moncton by 6:30 p.m.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

17- All Good Things Come to an End

  My latest caricature created from my  birthday picture at Richard's  (My teeth are definitely not that perfect, but thanks AI) March is ending and so is my visit in France. I've tried to capture and share some of the beauty, and the fun I've had. The weekend of March 21 the Elite team had a home game so I decided to go exploring for the day till game time at 4. I got off the bus in Gières and walked down to the beginning of B tram. I deposited an English book I'd brought with me at the free library at that stop. It has a note in it asking if the person who takes it would contact me. I'm anxious to see if someone will. I got on the B tram with no plan but as I went, I thought I would ride it all the way as I have done a couple other lines. It's a great way to see the city and get the 'lay of the land'. I didn't realized how far it went. From my seat I could people watch, window shop, and even tour some of the campus and ended up on the other side of...

13- Wow! It's February

  I've seen several memes of shock that it's February and I thought the same. But, I am happy for each change as spring marches toward us. Our days are getting longer and dawn comes earlier. I'm not a bird-er, but I used my Merlin app to record the pre-dawn serenade through my open window and this is the singer. He has several songs, some more melodious than others. I thought it was more than one species but Merlin only comes up with this fellow.  I walk the dog in an empty space behind the school where I can let him off leash. This is what I encountered one day as I strolled in the leaves. Don't look too closely at first, and what do you suppose I thought? It took my heart a little while to settle down from the startle factor and then I laughed and got a picture.  I attended a Tony Robbins webinar on line for 3 days, well evenings for me, because of being ahead 6 hours. I, also, was following a missing person reports from home, with no positive results as yet. Sunday 1...

14- Enjoying Olympics

We've had so much rain, so on my walk this morning, when there was no traffic, I actually heard the waterfall. It's not very visible from the road but the sound reminded me to look up.  We enjoyed Tedy's 15th birthday with his requested supper of Chicken Caesar and Joanna made chocolate chip cookies to turn into ice cream sandwiches. David's desk is in the room where I spend my time, so we've shared a lot of the highs and lows for Canada, as he works away on his football plans and watching film. Last night, while he was at practice , I witnessed Canada Women's Hockey and shared the sorrow of their overtime loss of gold. Right now I'm in the midst of cheering women's curling semi-final against Sweden. GO CANADA GO! Spring is starting to show its sweet face, but I guess, there's been an unusual amount of rain, and Karen has been telling me about hearing reports of avalanches, including one that shut down the trains to and from Valence area.  Football s...