For those of you who have journeyed with me, I am happy to report that I am home, safe and sound, and snuggled in at Richard's during this icy event.
Wed. Jan. 8 David and I and Tedy and Joanna went to lunch at the Best Western where Sam is doing his interning.
When we got home I still took my walk and then took them to play at the soccer field.
Another gorgeous, shirt-sleeve day
Thursday morning, -3°, getting ready to leave for the airport
Lyon airport as we arrived

We got there in good time despite the ongoing strike threatening our travel (expected huge volumes of traffic because no trains). At check in, because we didn't have seats together, I asked if there was any possibility for a change. She confirmed, as we'd seen online, that the flight was full. Karen asked if they were checking carry-on bags and they did. While we were finishing these arrangements an official looking man came up and told us it would be their pleasure to upgrade us and give us 2 seats together. Wow! Blessing!
We were in nicer seats, more leg room, with special menu, and even though I was in a middle seat it was no great hardship.( this was to be the first time I'd ever had a middle seat, because they hadn't sent me my check in email in time to choose)
our rescuer(in the middle)
We boarded on time, but then there seemed to be a delay. They finally announced there was a problem with the potable water system, so there would be no tea or coffee and there would be wet wipes to use in the toilets. They still had to load extra bottled water, sooooooo 1.5 hours later we took off. I knew already, therefore, that we would not make our connection to Moncton.
After our 8 hour flight, we arrived at 3:30 Montreal time. An agent was waiting at the top of the escalator with new boarding passes for a later flight. They also included 2-$10. Meal Vouchers for each of us. Now we had a 4.5 hour wait before our next flight, so we found some food and waited for our gate number to be posted. We meandered over eventually to wait there. A flight to Vancouver was using the same gate and our time was approaching. Then, I spied a gate farther down with our flight number. We moved over there and waited an hour only to hear an announcement to move to gate 23. If you know Montreal airport, that meant we had to walk back down a long hall from #7, take an escalator down, go along the moving sidewalk(which was turned off), up an escalator and more walking to 23. We arrived there to learn there was another delay, and then another delay, and then one more. It was another mechanical issue so we had to wait for a flight from Toronto so we could use that plane.
We finally left after 9:30 for our 8 o'clock flight, and got to Moncton, I think by midnight. By now we'd been on the move for over 20 hours so I lost track. Richard took good care of us and brought us home to our beds at his place.
Friday we spent the day chillaxing. Madeline slept a lot. They took us out to supper and then we booked a car for our trip to Halifax airport the next day. My car does not like the cold so we decided to play it safe.
Saturday we were at the rental by 8 and left Moncton by 8:30. It was a great trip, with good weather, warm temps, and lots of conversation.
I arranged to accompany her to the gate and we could leisurely make our way through security and find it. We had about 30 minutes till boarding; I messaged her and she was in her seat; and then I watched till they took off. By the time I was back to Amherst, she was in NL. In the evening, we went to a Wildcats game, and my first visit to the Avenir Centre.
2 of the guys from World Jr. Team Canada(they are Wildcats- McIsaac(left) and the goalie- Rodrigue (right)
First Timbits team when the tournaments began for all of Canada. It all started in Riverview, NB, 30 years ago.
Wild Willie watching from our section
This is Timbits weekend and half of all the teams in the tournament paraded around the rink. The other half will be presented today. If they'd all been presented on one day as they used to, the ice would have been full.
Today I am waiting out the weather and will decide when to move on.
















Comments
Post a Comment