Skip to main content
Wed. Nov. 14
After I'd written my blog, I read for a while and finally decided to pack everything up again. I double checked the room and then left about 12:20 to go and have lunch. I stopped at the desk and she put my bags in the secure room. When I went to the door of the dining room, it was locked. I checked my watch again and then went back to the desk to say it wasn't open. She said it doesn't open till 12. I said it was 12:30, but no, my watch had not changed, and as it turned out, the clock in the room had not been changed back either, so I was definitely out of sync. I sat in the lobby and corrected my tablet and my watch and waited for after 12.
I had lunch which was also a buffet and watched the other people coming and going. Back to the lobby, thankfully with comfy chairs and put in time reading and playing my word games until I decided to ask for the shuttle.
It took about 20 min. to get to airport. Another 5-10 to retrace my steps from the previous night and return to the Air Canada check-in. It was not too early to get in line, so I did. A line-up for that, and then a long line-up for security and I was finally on my way to my gate. Nothing to do but sit and wait for boarding. Everything was going on schedule and I was beginning to relax. We loaded on time and were backing out when...the captain announced that there was a problem with the computer and we would have to get maintenance. A few announcements and an hour later and it was resolved, but that had just eaten up all my connection time. After dinner, we were told (those who would miss flights) that we had been rebooked on a later flight. Fortunately, there are several flights each day-Frankfurt to Lyon.
When we arrived, the walk began again. If you have heard of Frankfurt, it is HUGE, so I had to walk to a different terminal to find the Lufthansa service desk. Then 40 minutes in 2 passport lines (first one closed just as I got to the 'next up', and we had to join another line) The second line he was putting people through at the rate of 1 to every 4 in the next line. After another l-o-n-g walk, low and behold, we ended up in yet another security check. I hadn't even been outside the controlled area,yet I needed to remove jackets, shoes, unload laptop. And in this one I also had to open my carry on to get my toiletries bag because he needed to SEE that all my liquids were in baggies. When I got through the scan I also had to be patted down and then she was holding back my backpack, because unlike every other airport where I've asked, this one wanted me to take out my tablet and phone as well and turn them on.
By now, I'm hot and exhausted but I still have to walk from Terminal B and find Terminal A, and after several more miles and elevators and moving sidewalks, I came in sight of Gate 60. I collapsed into a seat and began the 2 hour wait for this new flight. I had time then to message David to say I wasn't on the flight that had just landed in Lyon, so he also had 2 hours more to wait for me.
This was a more relaxing flight for me because it was the final destination and nothing more to be missed. It is always an amazement to me that my bag arrives with me, but it did.
And, then, there was David. We had a pleasant drive home, and it was so warm here. When we arrived Charlie and Madeline were home from school and Madeline spotted me coming through the gate. She dashed out screaming and then Charlie came out. I told them that it was such an ordeal getting here, that they'd better not stop hugging me for 2 months. David went to pick up the younger kids from school, and the looks when they came through the door were priceless. Joanna looked, and then it dawned on her that something was unusual and her mouth dropped open. They both swarmed me at once. The surprise was worth it.
We had to leave for activities in Grenoble before Sam got home so I didn't see him till about 8 at the football field. He was equally shocked and surprised. When we got home we were all very tired and bedtime was appreciated. I did stay up till after David got home and when they went to bed, I did too. I slept well with no adverse affects from the journey. And that, I needed to repeatedly remind myself, was Thursday.
Friday was a more relaxing day. I walked with David to take the kids to school and get some groceries. I went again with Karen for the after school pick-up and we visited the library. In the evening we went to a games night at the community center across the street, but Madeline and I didn't stay for snacks. Again I stayed up till my usual bedtime.
I seem to be fine at night but in the morning my old clock is in effect so I am slower getting up. (It's 5 hours ahead here from home) Today, Sat., was pouring rain all day so I went nowhere. The kids went in various directions-handball for J and T, oral presentation at school for C, and M went to town on the train and K walked her up. S ushered the 2 youngest back and forth from the handball building. D was at coaches training in Lyon all day, and K and D are out tonight, but I did nothing. Well, I did get this caught up, so I'm on track for new adventures tomorrow.


Comments

  1. The surprise for the kids would be worth all you went through to get there. Our bedroom clock is still on daylight savings. If he ever changes it, I will be 'thrown' all over again.

    I still don't understand why I cannot see the previous day's story. The next one (on my computer) under this current update was written in February. What happened to Nov. 13 (or whatever date it written)? Do you even see these comments from me?

    It sounds like you have jumped right back into the family routine. I know you will enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

17- All Good Things Come to an End

  My latest caricature created from my  birthday picture at Richard's  (My teeth are definitely not that perfect, but thanks AI) March is ending and so is my visit in France. I've tried to capture and share some of the beauty, and the fun I've had. The weekend of March 21 the Elite team had a home game so I decided to go exploring for the day till game time at 4. I got off the bus in Gières and walked down to the beginning of B tram. I deposited an English book I'd brought with me at the free library at that stop. It has a note in it asking if the person who takes it would contact me. I'm anxious to see if someone will. I got on the B tram with no plan but as I went, I thought I would ride it all the way as I have done a couple other lines. It's a great way to see the city and get the 'lay of the land'. I didn't realized how far it went. From my seat I could people watch, window shop, and even tour some of the campus and ended up on the other side of...

13- Wow! It's February

  I've seen several memes of shock that it's February and I thought the same. But, I am happy for each change as spring marches toward us. Our days are getting longer and dawn comes earlier. I'm not a bird-er, but I used my Merlin app to record the pre-dawn serenade through my open window and this is the singer. He has several songs, some more melodious than others. I thought it was more than one species but Merlin only comes up with this fellow.  I walk the dog in an empty space behind the school where I can let him off leash. This is what I encountered one day as I strolled in the leaves. Don't look too closely at first, and what do you suppose I thought? It took my heart a little while to settle down from the startle factor and then I laughed and got a picture.  I attended a Tony Robbins webinar on line for 3 days, well evenings for me, because of being ahead 6 hours. I, also, was following a missing person reports from home, with no positive results as yet. Sunday 1...

14- Enjoying Olympics

We've had so much rain, so on my walk this morning, when there was no traffic, I actually heard the waterfall. It's not very visible from the road but the sound reminded me to look up.  We enjoyed Tedy's 15th birthday with his requested supper of Chicken Caesar and Joanna made chocolate chip cookies to turn into ice cream sandwiches. David's desk is in the room where I spend my time, so we've shared a lot of the highs and lows for Canada, as he works away on his football plans and watching film. Last night, while he was at practice , I witnessed Canada Women's Hockey and shared the sorrow of their overtime loss of gold. Right now I'm in the midst of cheering women's curling semi-final against Sweden. GO CANADA GO! Spring is starting to show its sweet face, but I guess, there's been an unusual amount of rain, and Karen has been telling me about hearing reports of avalanches, including one that shut down the trains to and from Valence area.  Football s...