Last Saturday I got to have Thanksgiving after all. A friend from the church I attended in 2003 texted me on Friday night to say they would have Thanksgiving celebration on Saturday and invited me to go. It is a short distance from my house, but she had told me there was a bus #671, so I decided to try that. A mini-van sized bus came with that number, so I got on. First I gave him 28 roubles, but then I saw a sign that said 30 so I gave him 2 more. The small van cost a bit more, but I didn't know why.
We got to the street that I should turn up, but he didn't stop at that bus stop nor at 2 more. I thought I should just watch where he was going so I could walk back, and then someone spoke to him and he stopped and I jumped out too. I walked back to the church and still got there in time, and had a story to tell. Turns out the small buses stop on demand, but no one told me that part.
We had a GREAT celebration including the part where the Pastor and his wife arrived. They had been my host family in 2003 and it was the first I had seen them, since Vasilisa has been in Israel getting treatment for cervical cancer. I actually didn't know if I would ever see her this side of Heaven so I was thrilled. She is doing well and looks great, but we continue to pray as she is not cancer free yet. I got to see her 2 sons, my former students, and her 2 daughters which have come since I was here, one by adoption and one by birth.

It was an exciting day for me, and the food was great. When we were cleaning up, I said it looks like the story of the loaves and fishes where we are putting away more than we took out. The weather was still nice when we got out around 5, and I walked home.
My other adventure this week was yesterday on my way home from my English student. I have the route well learned now so I can actually read my book, as it takes about 1-1/4 hours to go one way. I ride a bit farther up the green line, so I only have to make one change and the second line starts above the city center so I can usually get a seat before it fills up. Well thought out don't you think???
So I'm sitting on the first line reading my book. There are not many people because we're traveling toward the center, and everyone else is going out from the center to get home. The stops go by and I know the name of mine, so I am half listening while I read. People get on and off as usual, and then I happen to look up because it seems very quiet, and ... there is no one on my car. When I stand to look, there is no one on any car. AND then we stop...in the tunnel. My heart stops too.
I have seen times when they pull into a station and make an announcement and everyone gets off. I always thought it was so the driver could go off duty. It often happens at our station in the evening, but I thought it was because we were near the end of the line. Actually, I don't really know anything about why. It's all just speculation.
So there I am, alone in the train, stopped in the tunnel. I try to be rational and think it has to move because another train will be coming in a few minutes. Then after what seemed like an eternity while I thought about spending the night there, abandoned, in the dark, the engine started up again, but it was moving backwards, very fast. At that point I think I was just glad it was moving, and hadn't turned out all the lights.
We arrived in a station with the doors opening on the other side. I sat there looking like an idiot while it filled with passengers. I got off at the next stop which was backwards in my journey, but I was just glad to be out. I figured out where I was and continued my journey home, very shaken but grateful. In my defense there was no repeated announcement like they usually make for several stops before this emptying will occur. When you can't understand the language you have to be alert to such things. In fact, I had previously warned my roommate that this sometimes happens.
Anyway, PTL, I was delivered, and now it makes for a good story.
Life is like that, so roll with the punches and be able to laugh at yourself.
Thanks to you who hold me in prayer against the mistakes I make. Despite me, He keeps me in His care.
We got to the street that I should turn up, but he didn't stop at that bus stop nor at 2 more. I thought I should just watch where he was going so I could walk back, and then someone spoke to him and he stopped and I jumped out too. I walked back to the church and still got there in time, and had a story to tell. Turns out the small buses stop on demand, but no one told me that part.
We had a GREAT celebration including the part where the Pastor and his wife arrived. They had been my host family in 2003 and it was the first I had seen them, since Vasilisa has been in Israel getting treatment for cervical cancer. I actually didn't know if I would ever see her this side of Heaven so I was thrilled. She is doing well and looks great, but we continue to pray as she is not cancer free yet. I got to see her 2 sons, my former students, and her 2 daughters which have come since I was here, one by adoption and one by birth.
It was an exciting day for me, and the food was great. When we were cleaning up, I said it looks like the story of the loaves and fishes where we are putting away more than we took out. The weather was still nice when we got out around 5, and I walked home.
My other adventure this week was yesterday on my way home from my English student. I have the route well learned now so I can actually read my book, as it takes about 1-1/4 hours to go one way. I ride a bit farther up the green line, so I only have to make one change and the second line starts above the city center so I can usually get a seat before it fills up. Well thought out don't you think???
So I'm sitting on the first line reading my book. There are not many people because we're traveling toward the center, and everyone else is going out from the center to get home. The stops go by and I know the name of mine, so I am half listening while I read. People get on and off as usual, and then I happen to look up because it seems very quiet, and ... there is no one on my car. When I stand to look, there is no one on any car. AND then we stop...in the tunnel. My heart stops too.
I have seen times when they pull into a station and make an announcement and everyone gets off. I always thought it was so the driver could go off duty. It often happens at our station in the evening, but I thought it was because we were near the end of the line. Actually, I don't really know anything about why. It's all just speculation.
So there I am, alone in the train, stopped in the tunnel. I try to be rational and think it has to move because another train will be coming in a few minutes. Then after what seemed like an eternity while I thought about spending the night there, abandoned, in the dark, the engine started up again, but it was moving backwards, very fast. At that point I think I was just glad it was moving, and hadn't turned out all the lights.
We arrived in a station with the doors opening on the other side. I sat there looking like an idiot while it filled with passengers. I got off at the next stop which was backwards in my journey, but I was just glad to be out. I figured out where I was and continued my journey home, very shaken but grateful. In my defense there was no repeated announcement like they usually make for several stops before this emptying will occur. When you can't understand the language you have to be alert to such things. In fact, I had previously warned my roommate that this sometimes happens.
Anyway, PTL, I was delivered, and now it makes for a good story.
Life is like that, so roll with the punches and be able to laugh at yourself.
Thanks to you who hold me in prayer against the mistakes I make. Despite me, He keeps me in His care.
(I 'thought' I left a comment last week but I must have clicked the wrong button to submit it.)
ReplyDeleteThe train in the tunnel story took my breath away. You are braver than I am.
love you
By the time it happened, bravery was not an issue, more like survival. What would you have done?
ReplyDelete