Well as promised, here are the changing leaves.


Just finished a GREAT day at school. Oct. 5th is Teachers' Day in Russia, but it was celebrated today, Friday, Sept. 30 at our school. There was a special opening assembly presented by the student council with elementary students presenting a song and some dancing.

There was also a power point presentation about last years' event and the music brought me to tears. I'm going to have to look it up online so I can hear it again. Then the senior students became staff for the Learning Centers and also the Russian classes and we, the staff, enjoyed some fun in the rally hall. Most of the students come bearing gifts, flowers and/or cards of appreciation- often made by them. It is a huge celebration here, and I think I should carry it back to Canada.
After the students were gone, at 12:15 today, the staff enjoyed a beautiful meal and then we new members were subjected to some fun initiation.


Most of the speaking was done in Russian, so I was at a loss most of the time, but it was lots of fun. The School also presented each lady with a Pashmina shawl and the men with a tie. It was a wonderful day and I felt very honoured and appreciated, especially since these kids haven't known me that long. My gifts included a huge, and I mean HUGE, box of Raffaello candy, several boxes of chocolates, a Russian tea set (2 cups and saucers), a couple of containers of tea, a wooden necklace and 2 pr. earrings to match, a sleepwear set, and even a bottle of champagne.

Saturday
We went to the Kremlin and here are some shots from today. Unfortunately, there is no photographing allowed inside the cathedrals so you'll have to just believe me when I say they're incredible. All the walls are covered with art work and iconistasis...ALL, and the ceilings too. I saw one picture from the 15th century that was called "The 40 Martyrs" and it depicted people being killed and there was a host of angels overhead carrying crowns to them. The crowns were not painted but were actually shaped pieces of metal. If I had had a pen I could have written down the title for you to see but maybe I'll try to find it online.
Right now we're off to a friends house to eat some more of the fabulous food from yesterday and since our internet wire seems to no longer work we're hoping to use their wifi. If so, you will see this posted...hopefully.

Another of those false fronts to hide construction. Can you believe the elaborate way of concealing the work to maintain good appearance.

The crowds waiting to go through security to get into Kremlin.

The tower of Ivan's cathedral.

The bell that is 200 tons and fell and broke as you can see.

Another beautiful example of the golden domes on the cathedrals.
Just finished a GREAT day at school. Oct. 5th is Teachers' Day in Russia, but it was celebrated today, Friday, Sept. 30 at our school. There was a special opening assembly presented by the student council with elementary students presenting a song and some dancing.
There was also a power point presentation about last years' event and the music brought me to tears. I'm going to have to look it up online so I can hear it again. Then the senior students became staff for the Learning Centers and also the Russian classes and we, the staff, enjoyed some fun in the rally hall. Most of the students come bearing gifts, flowers and/or cards of appreciation- often made by them. It is a huge celebration here, and I think I should carry it back to Canada.
After the students were gone, at 12:15 today, the staff enjoyed a beautiful meal and then we new members were subjected to some fun initiation.
Most of the speaking was done in Russian, so I was at a loss most of the time, but it was lots of fun. The School also presented each lady with a Pashmina shawl and the men with a tie. It was a wonderful day and I felt very honoured and appreciated, especially since these kids haven't known me that long. My gifts included a huge, and I mean HUGE, box of Raffaello candy, several boxes of chocolates, a Russian tea set (2 cups and saucers), a couple of containers of tea, a wooden necklace and 2 pr. earrings to match, a sleepwear set, and even a bottle of champagne.
Saturday
We went to the Kremlin and here are some shots from today. Unfortunately, there is no photographing allowed inside the cathedrals so you'll have to just believe me when I say they're incredible. All the walls are covered with art work and iconistasis...ALL, and the ceilings too. I saw one picture from the 15th century that was called "The 40 Martyrs" and it depicted people being killed and there was a host of angels overhead carrying crowns to them. The crowns were not painted but were actually shaped pieces of metal. If I had had a pen I could have written down the title for you to see but maybe I'll try to find it online.
Right now we're off to a friends house to eat some more of the fabulous food from yesterday and since our internet wire seems to no longer work we're hoping to use their wifi. If so, you will see this posted...hopefully.
Another of those false fronts to hide construction. Can you believe the elaborate way of concealing the work to maintain good appearance.
The crowds waiting to go through security to get into Kremlin.
The tower of Ivan's cathedral.
The bell that is 200 tons and fell and broke as you can see.
Another beautiful example of the golden domes on the cathedrals.
I am enjoying your updates. Thank you for adding me to your list.
ReplyDeletethe pictures were great to see. Sounds like you are being appreciated and loved in Russia. I think maybe I will come there and see how I do in the particular area. I'm having a pity party today, I used to feel loved and special but I don't feel it any more. Oh well, I'm going to Ottawa on Tues. and Ben and Adrianna will make me feel special and loved. So will Tim and Ange, it is their anniversary on Thurs. so I'm going so they can have a whole day to themselves. I'm really looking forward to going now.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a great tour, I love the outside of the buildings. I can hardly imagine construction sites putting up such a beautiful false front....that is amazing.
Well enjoy your week, I'll look forward to the next blog. Love ya
J