Well, I’ve spent my first night in the Callejon (pronounced ki-ya-ron- all long vowels). This is to be my home for the next several months. It is a room on the school property, but much nicer than I envisioned. It is a large room with a single bed and not much else at this point. It has a bathroom with toilet, sink and shower so what more does a person need.
I moved in Wed. night as they had guests coming from out of town. We spent the evening showing them the town and then they delivered me to my new ‘digs’. Fortunately, the power was on for my move-in, but last night it went off at 7:30 and was off all night. I read for a while by flashlight but it kept dimming- it’s a wind-up one. So I decided to try sleep, but that was pointless. The moto-conchos and the dogs don’t tone down at all just because it’s night-time. They seem to roar by my place, which is right beside the road. They usually sound like a jet taking off only it’s in your living room. I thought I was sleep deprived before but this gives it a whole new meaning. Last night despite no power the guy next door thought he should entertain the whole neighbourhood with his car music, so he did, till very, very late. They pride themselves on their huge speakers.
AND have I mentioned how hot it is. Not a breath of breeze and, of course, no electricity means no fan.
Least I sound too dismal, I am coping, I’ve almost finished sewing the 68 school bags and penciled in all their names and the logo. The good news is, I don’t have to do the embroidering.
I’ve got the uniform patterns designed and some cut out. I’m not looking forward to sewing all these little clothes. The girls will have an a-line dress with sleeves and ruffle around the bottom (not my idea as it’s very time consuming). The material is tiny blue gingham check. The apron that goes over it is royal blue and made like the ones we made in grade 7 with bib, gathered skirt and ties.
The boys will wear shirts of the same check and little vests of the royal blue. They will have navy pants but, fortunately for me, they are being bought.
On Monday Sept. 14th I start Eng. Classes- grade 3 then 2 in the morning and registration that night for adults. On Wed. I do grade 1 and will spend each evening meeting my adult students and evaluating which groups to put them in.
She has agreed to postpone sewing classes till I get the uniforms done, as they are required by law. They have taken priority to prepare for the Dept. of Education who will inspect our facility and program.
Thursday they delivered the table I ordered for my room. It was built to the measurements I asked for. He does really good work considering his ‘factory’ is along the side of the road under a tree. After school I went to a restaurant to do my internet but they changed their hours and it was closed. I did some exploring and managed to buy a few things in a hardware store and a few groceries. There are no pots or anything in the kitchen yet so my options are limited.
I installed screens in my windows today with double-sided tape. So far they are holding. It will be good to not have to sleep under the mosquito netting. Despite the fact it is nothing but holes it doesn’t seem to let any air in.
I guess this is our Friday night bonus-to have power. I was glad to be able to prepare this so when I do get to internet, it will be ready to send. I think now I will treat myself to a few games of Spider Solitaire…life in the fast lane. ( Still haven’t gotten to the beach again) AFN from DR.
I moved in Wed. night as they had guests coming from out of town. We spent the evening showing them the town and then they delivered me to my new ‘digs’. Fortunately, the power was on for my move-in, but last night it went off at 7:30 and was off all night. I read for a while by flashlight but it kept dimming- it’s a wind-up one. So I decided to try sleep, but that was pointless. The moto-conchos and the dogs don’t tone down at all just because it’s night-time. They seem to roar by my place, which is right beside the road. They usually sound like a jet taking off only it’s in your living room. I thought I was sleep deprived before but this gives it a whole new meaning. Last night despite no power the guy next door thought he should entertain the whole neighbourhood with his car music, so he did, till very, very late. They pride themselves on their huge speakers.
AND have I mentioned how hot it is. Not a breath of breeze and, of course, no electricity means no fan.
Least I sound too dismal, I am coping, I’ve almost finished sewing the 68 school bags and penciled in all their names and the logo. The good news is, I don’t have to do the embroidering.
I’ve got the uniform patterns designed and some cut out. I’m not looking forward to sewing all these little clothes. The girls will have an a-line dress with sleeves and ruffle around the bottom (not my idea as it’s very time consuming). The material is tiny blue gingham check. The apron that goes over it is royal blue and made like the ones we made in grade 7 with bib, gathered skirt and ties.
The boys will wear shirts of the same check and little vests of the royal blue. They will have navy pants but, fortunately for me, they are being bought.
On Monday Sept. 14th I start Eng. Classes- grade 3 then 2 in the morning and registration that night for adults. On Wed. I do grade 1 and will spend each evening meeting my adult students and evaluating which groups to put them in.
She has agreed to postpone sewing classes till I get the uniforms done, as they are required by law. They have taken priority to prepare for the Dept. of Education who will inspect our facility and program.
Thursday they delivered the table I ordered for my room. It was built to the measurements I asked for. He does really good work considering his ‘factory’ is along the side of the road under a tree. After school I went to a restaurant to do my internet but they changed their hours and it was closed. I did some exploring and managed to buy a few things in a hardware store and a few groceries. There are no pots or anything in the kitchen yet so my options are limited.
I installed screens in my windows today with double-sided tape. So far they are holding. It will be good to not have to sleep under the mosquito netting. Despite the fact it is nothing but holes it doesn’t seem to let any air in.
I guess this is our Friday night bonus-to have power. I was glad to be able to prepare this so when I do get to internet, it will be ready to send. I think now I will treat myself to a few games of Spider Solitaire…life in the fast lane. ( Still haven’t gotten to the beach again) AFN from DR.
Comments
Post a Comment