David had read that there was a huge flea market in the opposite direction of the souks so we decided to check it out. There were acres and acres of local people selling to local people. ( hardly saw any tourists) We wandered through the vendors, but I was also looking at the people. It was very tiring for me as I had to follow David, keep my eye on the uneven ground ( many of you know my history 🙄), look at the displays ( thankfully many of them on a blanket on the ground, where my eyes were looking), and dodge the crowds. I don't think you could name a thing we didn't see including clothes, furniture, carpets, electronics, batteries, bathroom fixtures, appliances, car parts, etc. All while listening the loudspeakers blaring out 'sermons' ,we think. I made a recording to capture the sound, but don't know how to share video here. We enjoyed a delicious glass of fresh squeezed lemon, ginger and sugar cane.
I mentioned I'd been studying the people so I made my choice to buy a djellaba, which is like their coat. I saw a vendor with a pile on his blanket and stopped to examine them. I found one I liked and asked how much. I had figured 200 dirham was about $30. Cdn. Of course, you must barter so when he said 200, I countered with 150 (through my French interpreter, David). He came back with 180, and I repeated 150. We shook👐. David had taken his backpack so, thankfully I didn't have to carry stuff. He had read not to take pictures, so we have none of that adventure. Then, we headed the other way back to the souks to buy what we'd planned.
We passed a carver working on a piece of wood and stopped to watch. He demonstrated, and had good English, so he said I could video. While he was working he had given David a magic box to open, and if he did he could have it for a gift. When he was done whittling the piece he gave it to me, and explained what it was, but I had turned off the camera. He showed us the secrets of the boxes, which I will not reveal.
David bought some of the powders they use for dyes to give Joanna for painting. I bought a beautiful teal green hack of wool, not sure what for, but I seemed to want it even more than my usual fabric purchase in a foreign country. I did admire some wool flannel when I was debating about making my own djellaba, and learned it was about $15. meter (150 cm wide)-good price, but no space. My djellaba was a better buy and has authentic trim which I could not have done.
I did also get a very crudely crafted thimble, which I love, rather than commercially produced one.
Our arranged driver was on time and whisked us through the city, sometimes 100 kph. We got through all the necessary check points and I really thought I should have a coffee to toast the journey. I cropped it because I looked rather pathetic that morning.

Comments
Post a Comment