It’s hard to fathom that we are at the end of February. If I had not changed my plane ticket, I would be at home now reacquainting myself with winter. It was the right decision…thank You, Lord. I am not ready to leave.
Tomorrow is the celebration for DR’s Independence. Apparently, it is a big thing with the high schools of the whole district parading and competing with their bands and marching. I have heard them through the day practicing on our streets. I think it is held in Sosua so I will not get to see it. Today (Feb.26) our children have prepared flags from construction paper and will parade to the chapel for a little ceremony. If you search the Dominican flag you will see that it says: God, country, freedom and the white cross through the middle represents the cross of Christ. In the center there is an open Bible. The meaning of all the parts is very interesting. At the end we ate red'cajuil' which grow in our trees here.
There’s not much new. The daily routines go on as scheduled. I finally got to visit Bario Blanco, which is another poor area on the other side of town. Many of the church people live there, too. Judnel took me to the river behind that community where he goes fishing. He had a pretty good day’s catch and prepared some for me later with rice. He uses fried plantain for bait and a line with a couple of hooks, sort of like jigging, I think.
On another day he took me on a tour around this neighbourhood, on streets I had never been, back to where the same river flows behind here. I got to see where many of the people live that I know. For us, the conditions would seem unliveable but for them they are grateful to be here and have a roof over their head, even if it is leaky.
We had a couple of missionaries from Haiti at the church for 2 weeks. There were meetings every night from 7 till 10 or later. The place was packed. The young men have also been going out 2-by-2 doing visitation and praying and singing with the Haitians of the area. Many have returned to church. Church is their support and their socializing. I went to a few meetings but since I don’t understand much I did not go every time. It was also the start of Lenten season and they have had a few ‘fasting and prayer’ mornings.
Sunday 28th is my 6 month anniversary. I just realized I’ve met and learned the names of probably more than 100 new people in that length of time. The mind is an amazing thing. It never seems to run out of storage space. Now I’m adding Kréol.
M’ale, n’a wè pi ta. (I’m going, see you later)

Tomorrow is the celebration for DR’s Independence. Apparently, it is a big thing with the high schools of the whole district parading and competing with their bands and marching. I have heard them through the day practicing on our streets. I think it is held in Sosua so I will not get to see it. Today (Feb.26) our children have prepared flags from construction paper and will parade to the chapel for a little ceremony. If you search the Dominican flag you will see that it says: God, country, freedom and the white cross through the middle represents the cross of Christ. In the center there is an open Bible. The meaning of all the parts is very interesting. At the end we ate red'cajuil' which grow in our trees here.
There’s not much new. The daily routines go on as scheduled. I finally got to visit Bario Blanco, which is another poor area on the other side of town. Many of the church people live there, too. Judnel took me to the river behind that community where he goes fishing. He had a pretty good day’s catch and prepared some for me later with rice. He uses fried plantain for bait and a line with a couple of hooks, sort of like jigging, I think.
On another day he took me on a tour around this neighbourhood, on streets I had never been, back to where the same river flows behind here. I got to see where many of the people live that I know. For us, the conditions would seem unliveable but for them they are grateful to be here and have a roof over their head, even if it is leaky.
We had a couple of missionaries from Haiti at the church for 2 weeks. There were meetings every night from 7 till 10 or later. The place was packed. The young men have also been going out 2-by-2 doing visitation and praying and singing with the Haitians of the area. Many have returned to church. Church is their support and their socializing. I went to a few meetings but since I don’t understand much I did not go every time. It was also the start of Lenten season and they have had a few ‘fasting and prayer’ mornings.
Sunday 28th is my 6 month anniversary. I just realized I’ve met and learned the names of probably more than 100 new people in that length of time. The mind is an amazing thing. It never seems to run out of storage space. Now I’m adding Kréol.
M’ale, n’a wè pi ta. (I’m going, see you later)

Comments
Post a Comment