It’s been pretty much a routine week this week. We’re doing some Christmas decorating at the school.
The breakfast program on Fridays is in its third week and the kids are enjoying it. The first week they had oranges from the trees in the yard and this week they’re having coconut. I’m going to try and add a video of Desir preparing them.
They are different from the ones we have at home. They are buried deep inside a thick shell and husk.

I continue with my Spanish lessons. I understand many words but am very slow at speaking. Oh well, I’m slow at speaking English too, so what can you expect.
It sure is great having electricity all the time now. It makes much more pleasant evenings and it’s much easier to teach than it was by candlelight. The fridge and pump are not hooked to the inverter so we have never run out of juice in the batteries yet, although that means that we still have to prime the pump whenever the real power comes on. We finally are building up a little water in the cistern. Last week we didn’t run the pump at all because there wasn’t enough water. Nothing was coming to Callejon from the town’s pipes. Most people here don’t have running water in their houses, so I carried water and ‘bucket-showered’ like the rest of them.
I discovered that I have a poinsettia tree growing just outside my house. It is actually the neighbours’ tree, but I get to enjoy the beauty of it.

The breakfast program on Fridays is in its third week and the kids are enjoying it. The first week they had oranges from the trees in the yard and this week they’re having coconut. I’m going to try and add a video of Desir preparing them. They are different from the ones we have at home. They are buried deep inside a thick shell and husk.

I continue with my Spanish lessons. I understand many words but am very slow at speaking. Oh well, I’m slow at speaking English too, so what can you expect.
It sure is great having electricity all the time now. It makes much more pleasant evenings and it’s much easier to teach than it was by candlelight. The fridge and pump are not hooked to the inverter so we have never run out of juice in the batteries yet, although that means that we still have to prime the pump whenever the real power comes on. We finally are building up a little water in the cistern. Last week we didn’t run the pump at all because there wasn’t enough water. Nothing was coming to Callejon from the town’s pipes. Most people here don’t have running water in their houses, so I carried water and ‘bucket-showered’ like the rest of them.
I discovered that I have a poinsettia tree growing just outside my house. It is actually the neighbours’ tree, but I get to enjoy the beauty of it.

I put the video in but I don't know where it went
ReplyDeleteWe had a poinsettia tree outside our compound in Africa. Enjoy!
ReplyDeletePatti
I watched the video. I don't know where my comment went. :)
ReplyDeleteI ran he video without difficulty as it appeared on my computer. It is impressive to watch Desir handle the machete or whatever it is called.
ReplyDelete