Skip to main content

Mon. 21st- We have the assurance that God promised never again to flood the whole earth, otherwise I might be a little concerned. It’s been raining non-stop for 12 hours now, mostly pouring, and I don’t see any sign of it letting up. I had to walk over to the school to get my breakfast and the water everywhere was over my feet. I had planned to walk on the beach today but at this rate I will be able to swim in my own yard.
At least that meant that there was no parade today. Last Thurs., Fri., and Sat. I was awakened at 4:30 by the sound of drums, every dog barking in response and many people parading up and down all the streets singing and shouting. I asked Azarias and he said the Catholics do this and end up at the church. I suppose it’s for Christmas or maybe Winter Solstice. Judnel says it happens in Haiti too. I wonder how many converts you’d get in Canada with that method.
It’s 12:00 p.m. and the rain has not abated any??? The power hasn’t
been on since last night so I’m not using my lights in order to save
the juice in the inverter.

Day 2- It’s now been 36 hours since the rain started. We had rain daily in Nov. but not constant, and the sun always came out at some point. My ceiling leaks. My wall leaks…and still it comes. I put my washtub out this morning to catch some water and it has now 2 inches. That’s not very scientific but it gives you some idea. I hope you’re not having an equal amount in snow.

Day 3- AND still it comes. I feel sorry for anyone who picked now to come on vacation. I was told this is winter and it can go on like this for days. It’s like being at the cottage in the summer with the sounds of rain on the roof. I have to go buy an umbrella, I guess, but the stores close don’t have any and it won’t stop long enough for me to go to look in town. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and started on uniforms for next year, very slowly though, as I still haven’t recovered from the burn-out of Sept. and Oct.

Thurs. Day 4- This is better…the SUN is shining. Tomorrow, the 25th, is Judnel’s 20th birthday so I am celebrating with him today as I will be gone tomorrow.
We took a walk to town so I could go to the bank and walked back along the beach. We had lunch/supper at a Dominican restaurant-chicken with rice and beans, and a small slaw salad. I enjoy the real Dominican restaurants very much. I’ve always preferred native places when I live away or how can you learn their culture.
I gave him a phone card so he could call his family in Haiti for Birthday/Christmas. He and Desir also got a food basket and a new shirt and towel from the school/other contributors for Christmas cheer.

Dec. 25th- Last night there was a huge noisy party in the neighbourhood but today looks and sounds like any other day in the Callejon. It actually makes it easier for me. This afternoon we are going up the mountain to Caffeto in La Cumbre for a ‘Christmas and birthday for Michel’ celebration meal. The view up there is spectacular!

Comments