I probably say this often, but I can't believe the month is half over and I'm just writing for the first time this year. We had a great New Years Eve with our friends. We were having so much fun that we didn't bother to go to Red Square. It was also a snowy night which was pretty to be out in, but not for commuting. We saw lots of fireworks, ate, watched a movie and came home about 5:30 a.m. I slept till 8 and then called my family for their midnight which took 2 hours because they're in 2 time zones. Then I went back to sleep till about 2.
My American roommate was gone from Jan. 4-7, and the Moldovan one had gone home, so I was alone for those days. I did no more than necessary, except some prep for English classes. The weather was beautiful with some snow on most days. On Friday I took a 40 minute trolley ride to visit a friend from school and she took me to Ashan, which is a huge superstore where you can find everything you need. I didn't go to shop, but just to learn the location and see what everyone was talking about. The prices are reasonable, so I may go again if I need something that I can't find closer. It was fun to travel above-ground and actually see where you're going.
On Sat. 7th, which is Russian Christmas, I was going to go make cookies at the same friends' house as new Years. Not long before I was scheduled to leave, they called to ask if I wanted to go with him to a Ghanaian reception. I had no idea what would be taking place, but thought it would be an interesting experience. I hustled into something dressy and headed over to their place to work on cookies until it was time for us to go. They have 5 children at home and are trying to make some traditions to fit in all the holidays. They go to the International church so they acknowledge Dec. 25th, but also they did their gifts on New Years Eve which is traditional in Russia. Then there is Russian Christmas on the 7th so they want to make some kind of family day, hence the cookie cutting and decorating.
He and I went off to the Embassy for 4:00. He was asked to do photography, which you have seen if you know me on Facebook. He takes tons of pictures wherever he is, and posts them all on Facebook and on the school website, so people can always find themselves at the event. I don't usually even bother with my camera when he's there.
The event turned out to be an awards night for NUGS, which is a student organization of Ghanaians. It was a fun night with awards, some performances, great food, and I even got to meet the Ambassador. I also got 'hit on' by a very drunk guy, who told me I was beautiful, that he loved me, and other non-publishable comments. (If you look way in the back of the middle photo you'll see me sitting just before he came and parked VERY close beside me) Now Sundays, at church, I will recognize some more people, as many of the students attend ICA.
School started up again on Tuesday 10th, although lots of students were still absent, many having gone to their home country or somewhere else for holidays. It's taking a while for the kids to get back to the routine, but hopefully it will come faster than the beginning of the year. I'm going to end this one here because I have to go to school and this past weekend will take a blog all to itself.
My American roommate was gone from Jan. 4-7, and the Moldovan one had gone home, so I was alone for those days. I did no more than necessary, except some prep for English classes. The weather was beautiful with some snow on most days. On Friday I took a 40 minute trolley ride to visit a friend from school and she took me to Ashan, which is a huge superstore where you can find everything you need. I didn't go to shop, but just to learn the location and see what everyone was talking about. The prices are reasonable, so I may go again if I need something that I can't find closer. It was fun to travel above-ground and actually see where you're going.
On Sat. 7th, which is Russian Christmas, I was going to go make cookies at the same friends' house as new Years. Not long before I was scheduled to leave, they called to ask if I wanted to go with him to a Ghanaian reception. I had no idea what would be taking place, but thought it would be an interesting experience. I hustled into something dressy and headed over to their place to work on cookies until it was time for us to go. They have 5 children at home and are trying to make some traditions to fit in all the holidays. They go to the International church so they acknowledge Dec. 25th, but also they did their gifts on New Years Eve which is traditional in Russia. Then there is Russian Christmas on the 7th so they want to make some kind of family day, hence the cookie cutting and decorating.
He and I went off to the Embassy for 4:00. He was asked to do photography, which you have seen if you know me on Facebook. He takes tons of pictures wherever he is, and posts them all on Facebook and on the school website, so people can always find themselves at the event. I don't usually even bother with my camera when he's there.
The event turned out to be an awards night for NUGS, which is a student organization of Ghanaians. It was a fun night with awards, some performances, great food, and I even got to meet the Ambassador. I also got 'hit on' by a very drunk guy, who told me I was beautiful, that he loved me, and other non-publishable comments. (If you look way in the back of the middle photo you'll see me sitting just before he came and parked VERY close beside me) Now Sundays, at church, I will recognize some more people, as many of the students attend ICA.
School started up again on Tuesday 10th, although lots of students were still absent, many having gone to their home country or somewhere else for holidays. It's taking a while for the kids to get back to the routine, but hopefully it will come faster than the beginning of the year. I'm going to end this one here because I have to go to school and this past weekend will take a blog all to itself.





Comments
Post a Comment