Monday Nov. 2
It’s November. It must be time to get my annual cold. Well, of course. But how do the germs know what time of year it is when the weather is always the same. Fortunately, I brought sinus pills with me, as that’s the way it usually strikes. BUT how do you know if you have a fever when you’ve felt like 100*F everyday since you arrived. The doctor was here today so I got him to check my BP and it was good, so I expect to live.
There is some kind of election coming up here. The campaigning is in full swing. Posters are everywhere including people’s car windows. Yesterday there was a huge rally. Everyone in the neighbourhood disappeared and I could hear screaming and air horns and car horns. I had no idea what was happening. Thought maybe the results were in, so I asked today one of the teachers who speaks some English. He confirmed that it was an election rally. I thought with the heightened activity that maybe it was this week. “Oh, no”, he says. “It’s next May.”
Tuesday
The sinus pills are working OK, but now I have a cough as well. For that I brought some Halls.
English class went well last night. We learned words with long “e” sound. This week in our practice sessions we will learn to pronounce them and name them from pictures. This will add to their vocabulary, if they do their homework.
I discovered an interesting new one of God’s creatures today. I don’t know how long it’s been in my room but I spied something weird in the corner and as I went closer to investigate this ‘crumpled up paper?’ it moved. It was about 7” long and about 1” wide with many, many legs. Judnel, who I called to rescue me, said they call it an ‘anipied’ in Kreol. All I know is that I was not happy to find that it got into my room. Fortunately, he said they do not climb so it would not get into my bed, but I do walk around in the dark in my bare feet and he did say that it will bite/sting. He told me they are in the grass, which is why he keeps it clipped, “because he loves his teacher.” I could have lived quite peacefully without ever having met one of them. Now I will be days trying to get brave enough to walk around in my room again in the dark.
(The guys that came this afternoon say it does climb walls and that its bite can make you sick…”but not dead.”)

Wednesday
After much fervent prayer, I did manage to stop thinking about ‘the creature’ so I was able to sleep. Gaetan gave me a big stick to keep in my room. He also explained to me how to scrub everything with muriatic acid, which should keep things away for a while. Also, I need to pour some down my shower drain as that might be a way for things to crawl in.
Friday
Today was a surprise holiday. I got up and expected the usual but nobody came to school. Finally I decided to look on the calendar in the school and, sure enough, it was a holiday. I tried to decide what I could do at no cost. I packed my backpack and headed out to walk to a park I was told about farther in Callejon. The full name of our area is Callejon de la Loma (little hill). I came to the park and talked to a guide at the entrance. He told me he could take me on a tour of some caves and even a pool some 25 feet down. I said it sounds great and maybe some other time since I live here. He spoke good English and I told him where I live and what I'm doing here. He asked where I was from and told me he has several cousins in Ontario. He plans to go someday. He thanked me for being here as he says the education system is not so good and education is very important. The tour cost $15. dollars and I'm sure it wasn't Dominican dollars. I asked if I could just walk in the park and he said yes for 30 pesos($1.CDN) He said someone inside would collect for that but I saw no one and no one stopped me. It was so peaceful as no motos are allowed. You have to stay on the road because there are homes along the way, even poorer than where I live. It was a nice walk. I was gone about an hour and went to the end of the road. I took a few pics but I think something is wrong with my camera as they were very dark, although it was all under trees.



In the afternoon, I also walked on the beach in the opposite direction from where I usually go, so I had a 'new territory' day.
Now I'm back at my usual spot and thankfully today(unlike yesterday) the bank machine let me have some money. I was a little panicked as to what I would do if I didn't get any today as I desperately need groceries.
AND that's the week that was week 10.
It’s November. It must be time to get my annual cold. Well, of course. But how do the germs know what time of year it is when the weather is always the same. Fortunately, I brought sinus pills with me, as that’s the way it usually strikes. BUT how do you know if you have a fever when you’ve felt like 100*F everyday since you arrived. The doctor was here today so I got him to check my BP and it was good, so I expect to live.
There is some kind of election coming up here. The campaigning is in full swing. Posters are everywhere including people’s car windows. Yesterday there was a huge rally. Everyone in the neighbourhood disappeared and I could hear screaming and air horns and car horns. I had no idea what was happening. Thought maybe the results were in, so I asked today one of the teachers who speaks some English. He confirmed that it was an election rally. I thought with the heightened activity that maybe it was this week. “Oh, no”, he says. “It’s next May.”
Tuesday
The sinus pills are working OK, but now I have a cough as well. For that I brought some Halls.
English class went well last night. We learned words with long “e” sound. This week in our practice sessions we will learn to pronounce them and name them from pictures. This will add to their vocabulary, if they do their homework.
I discovered an interesting new one of God’s creatures today. I don’t know how long it’s been in my room but I spied something weird in the corner and as I went closer to investigate this ‘crumpled up paper?’ it moved. It was about 7” long and about 1” wide with many, many legs. Judnel, who I called to rescue me, said they call it an ‘anipied’ in Kreol. All I know is that I was not happy to find that it got into my room. Fortunately, he said they do not climb so it would not get into my bed, but I do walk around in the dark in my bare feet and he did say that it will bite/sting. He told me they are in the grass, which is why he keeps it clipped, “because he loves his teacher.” I could have lived quite peacefully without ever having met one of them. Now I will be days trying to get brave enough to walk around in my room again in the dark.
(The guys that came this afternoon say it does climb walls and that its bite can make you sick…”but not dead.”)

Wednesday
After much fervent prayer, I did manage to stop thinking about ‘the creature’ so I was able to sleep. Gaetan gave me a big stick to keep in my room. He also explained to me how to scrub everything with muriatic acid, which should keep things away for a while. Also, I need to pour some down my shower drain as that might be a way for things to crawl in.
Friday
Today was a surprise holiday. I got up and expected the usual but nobody came to school. Finally I decided to look on the calendar in the school and, sure enough, it was a holiday. I tried to decide what I could do at no cost. I packed my backpack and headed out to walk to a park I was told about farther in Callejon. The full name of our area is Callejon de la Loma (little hill). I came to the park and talked to a guide at the entrance. He told me he could take me on a tour of some caves and even a pool some 25 feet down. I said it sounds great and maybe some other time since I live here. He spoke good English and I told him where I live and what I'm doing here. He asked where I was from and told me he has several cousins in Ontario. He plans to go someday. He thanked me for being here as he says the education system is not so good and education is very important. The tour cost $15. dollars and I'm sure it wasn't Dominican dollars. I asked if I could just walk in the park and he said yes for 30 pesos($1.CDN) He said someone inside would collect for that but I saw no one and no one stopped me. It was so peaceful as no motos are allowed. You have to stay on the road because there are homes along the way, even poorer than where I live. It was a nice walk. I was gone about an hour and went to the end of the road. I took a few pics but I think something is wrong with my camera as they were very dark, although it was all under trees.



In the afternoon, I also walked on the beach in the opposite direction from where I usually go, so I had a 'new territory' day.
Now I'm back at my usual spot and thankfully today(unlike yesterday) the bank machine let me have some money. I was a little panicked as to what I would do if I didn't get any today as I desperately need groceries.
AND that's the week that was week 10.
I wish I could have walked with you.
ReplyDelete