Well, I've survived another week. I thought I would tell what a typical week is like, but there are no typical weeks. Every day is different and you always need to be flexible. So, I'll talk about this week.
Monday morn when I woke there was electricity so I got right at the sewing. It lasted till about 8:00. Then I got dressed and about 9 went over to the school kitchen(mine also) and got my breakfast. Just toast, no time for coffee as my first class is at 9:30. I have Grade 3 then. Today we reviewed. There were only 2 students of the 5 there, but I always proceed anyway. Our new lesson for this week was to introduce the first 3 colours we will learn-red, blue, green. We looked at several pictures and said the names over and over. Then we reviewed some of last week's words-car, ball, apple, and I asked them to draw one of them. When they were finished they could choose which colour, by name, that they wanted to use for colouring. Dianeri drew an apple and chose red, then green for leaves and stem. Marco Antonio drew a car and coloured it bright red, of course. Our classes are 40 min. so that was all.
After recreo (recess), I have Grade 2 at 10:30. It is basically the same lesson, except we are not quite as far along so we did not get to the drawing and colouring. It is a bigger class, when they are all there. Then I am finished teaching and if we happen to be blessed with electricity by then, which we were, I go back to my room and sew.
School goes from 8-12, but excluding opening, recess, and clean-up it usually amounts to only about 3 hr. of instruction. I think that there is not necessarily much learning that takes place in the school system, judging by the kids that have come to us. If they are bright, they will get it, but those who don't seem to be missed. In our grade 2 students there are some who cannot yet print, copy from the board, or read. In my class I have noticed that if one can't write something down he hands his book to a neighbour who writes it for him. There is very little order or discipline in the classroom so I can imagine some of them have just moved along that way. I don't know if they have any system for evaluating learning, such as testing, so hence, the poor quality of education. That is only my humble opinion derived only from my few weeks observation, but many of the students do not even know that you are to write your words on the lines of your notebook. Some are even reluctant to draw as they seem to be timid to try something new. I try to stop them from getting someone else to do it, and get them to try...It is progressing.
I sewed and pressed (I'm making vests now) till about 2:30 that day. Then I read for a bit and as usual...dozed. I went over to the kitchen about 4:30 to have a little something to eat while it was still light. My evening adult class is at 5:15 to have some light, but to give those with work time to get there. Monday we had no power so by 6:15 the candles have to be lit. I had finished with the blackboard and we were mostly doing oral stuff so it was OK. Our lesson was on nouns- what is a noun, and then naming different pics I have with me.. those who don't know the words will write them down with the French translation, hopefully to study. All my students are Haitian men so we use French to bridge the gap. They are, as am I, amazed by the amount of French vocabulary I have and question as to why I say I can't speak French. I tell them it's for the same reason they say they can't speak English..,pronunciation and sentence structure.
I always end the class with prayer, in English, and if I forget they will ask. We say our good-byes, everyone with a handshake and some add "go with God".
Then by 7:00 I am alone again and in the dark, usually. This is the hardest time because there really is nothing to do. I play a few hands of Solitaire until that becomes mundane. The candles aren't enough for me to read by so by 8 or 8:30 I am lying in bed listening to my MP3 if it has had time to recharge during the day. So ends a day in the life... I was thinking the other night that to describe how much I perspire, I would tell you women of like age, that I can drink 2- 20 oz. bottles of water before I go to bed and never have to get up in the night, nor is there any urgency in the morning...comprend!
Tues., Wed., and Thurs. I have appointments at various times with the adults for them to come and practice and ask anything they want to learn about. This gives more individual time for those who don't like to talk much. And for those more advanced I can teach further things. Each is required to spend at least an hour but most times it goes longer. I don't mind, as we sit and chat and I am getting to know them and they are becoming more comfortable with speaking.
This Wed. someone new stopped by for class. I explained that this was not class and our class had been in progress since Sept. but they still wanted to enrol, so I guess I will see him Monday. I have 14 on my roll and typically have about 10 each Monday. The practice days also give me a chance to catch up those who have missed something.
On Wed. I also have Kindergarten for 20 min. at 9:30 and then Grade 1 for 40 min. at 10:30. Thus ends my teaching schedule. The K class has 18 children who do not know the meaning of 'sit down'. OH, I have taught them the action, to which most will respond, but they only stay 'planted' for about 20 sec. And the whole child population is always hitting and pushing and generally very rowdy. The poor K teacher is reduced to yelling much of the time. I told Suzanne that when my sewing is done I would like to try and assist in K class. I cannot speak, but I can hold on to 2 or 3 and try to get them to do what she is asking.
The pattern of electricity on Monday seemed to follow for most of the week except Thurs we had power till about 7:45 so didn't notice it was so late and the guys I was practicing with were very late going to church meeting.
I think this Sunday, they may be taking me to an English church service since Gaetan is not preaching this week. It will be a change and I'll let you know which I prefer. I like being where my students are even if I don't understand much. They always seem happy to see me.
Well, this turned out to be rather long but, I hope, informative. Adios!!!

Comments
Post a Comment