Been trying to get in some last bits of sightseeing before it's time to go. Saturday we went on a walk-about and saw Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, a beautiful walking bridge over the Moscow River, and several wedding parties. We decided to go to the cathedral first which worked out right because it turns out it is just up the street from a monument we also wanted to see. The cathedral, I read, was destroyed by Stalin and rebuilt, only reopening in 1999. It is impressive outside and beautiful inside. As with many places, no photography is permitted inside so I can only show you the exterior and around, plus one of the 6 brides we saw in passing.
We actually came up on the back side of it and were prevented from going right to it because there was a fence. We would have had to backtrack, cross the river on another bridge, and walk down to where you see the big boat in order to see the front side. We decided that we were close enough to fulfill our wish list and just reached through the fence to get our shot.
We proceeded over this bridge and made our way along the river till we came to Peter the Great Monument which was our planned destination. Thankfully, it was a lovely day. Not too hot and a nice breeze blowing. Occasionally the sky got really gray and cloudy but we escaped unharrmed and dry.
Next day we thought we would go to see the mechanized clock at the Children's Theatre that goes off each day at 12. We thought we would have similar weather but by the time we got out of the metro it was pouring and continued to get worse. We waited in a bus shelter until 12 and then joined all the onlookers who were coming to the theatre for a performance of "Mogli".
The metro exit-
I took a video of the clock performance but unfortunately it won't upload so I can only show this picture of the doors open. My video was an excellent example of the real experience as you can see and hear the pouring rain. I also took the video with the camera in vertical position and unfortunately I cannot figure out any way to rotate it to horizontal.
With feet and jeans soaked we made our way home, satisfied by another worthwhile excursion. I enjoyed some hot chocolate and a brief nap as my reward for being undaunted by the weather.

Comments
Post a Comment