Skip to main content

Opera




Well I'm a little late getting this one posted. Another week has passed and also the weekend. You may have noticed that the title is "Opera". That's right...I went to my first ever opera. October 8th is Teachers' Day here, and they have a big celebration. They told us they wanted to treat us with tickets to a play. I signed up to go, but then Olga came and suggested that I wouldn't really understand anything, which is no revelation. She said a couple of the teachers were going to an opera as they had already seen the play, and maybe I would like to go with them. I said OK. I figured I wouldn't understand it either, but if that's what she thought best, well OK.
It was on Saturday night, and in the afternoon I met this teacher and we went to a bookstore with English books and books for teaching ESL. I had a great time browsing, but didn't find anything to use. Then we went to the area of the theatre and had time to walk around. It was a beautiful day. We met the other friend and went into the theatre just on time. It is a beautiful facility.







I had read a couple of write-ups about the opera so I would have some idea what was going on. I do the same for Shakespeare. They have a small screen above the stage where they write Russian sub-titles, which were also of no help to me. The opera was "Rigoletto" by Verdi. I did enjoy it, especially when all the men sang together. I was able to follow the story, and at the first intermission I bought a program, which had English included, describing the scenes.
We were out around 10:20 and the evening was still warm for walking to the Metro. They changed trains after the first stop and I made my way home alone, tired but pleased with this new experience.
I will start with another student this week, but she is working in Paces so I will know what to do with her. She needs help catching up to her level.
The weather has turned a little colder, but still 'sweater weather' for me. I'm not looking forward to when we have to start slogging through the slush. The leaves are changing but I forgot to take the latest picture out my window so I will have to include it next time.
We still have not got the wifi working properly which is a big frustration now that my room-mate is back from U.S. We have to share the wire. It should be working by now but we haven't been able to make it happen. Most of the time it will connect with my computer but not hers so she still has to take the wire which means then I have to stop.
On Friday we will have the celebration for Teachers' Day. Not sure why it isn't done on October 8th. It will be a half day and students will fill the staff positions in all the classes. Don't know if that means we get to be students and have revenge or if it will just create more headaches for us. But then after they go we will have a party with cakes ,etc.

So I guess that's it for news for this week. Thanks for your prayers...Keep looking up.

Comments