Skip to main content

Rain

I thought the rain was bad in January but this week has surpassed all my previous experiences. Wednesday I had just come from Spanish lesson when it broke loose. I was at the church and one whole side of the dome was leaking just as if it were a rain gutter. Then one of the metal roofing sheets blew off and it poured in. The floor is cement and the chairs are plastic so no damage but we had to quickly scramble to put it back in place. They must have lots of experience because they knew exactly what to do. They lifted the edge of the upper one using a long pole and someone climbed up on a tall table and with a rake he tucked the loose one under again.
When I got home my floor was flooded from the rain coming in under the door. That has never happened before. I had to mop up the whole floor but at least now it's clean. Fortunately, my power bar and computer cord box were just beyond where the water reached, but I now know to keep them off the floor.
Last night(Friday) I was at the school eating my supper when the rain struck. I had my book so was just relaxing and hoping for it to abate enough for me to wade home. I went to the kitchen and found that the water was pouring in the back door from the Kindergarten courtyard and flowing out the front. It was covering the floor about 1/2 inch deep. The drain in the courtyard could not handle the surge. I got the mop and worked for about 45 min. assisting the flow out the front door and down through the carport. Then I had to mop up the bathroom, which is lower than the kitchen so was also full. That took an hour or so and several bucketfuls to remove. I was very grateful that we have a janitor pail on the premises that squeezes out the mop for you, well, when you pull the handle. It caused me to think, while I worked, what it must be like for people whose houses flood every time it rains. As usual, I took video because it has to be seen. However, I did not put it in my computer last night when I finally got home soaked and tired so I have nothing to show today. Sorry.
Two weeks from now I'll be at the airport for my flight home.

Comments

  1. I remember one time when our apartment in Dartmouth had a flood. You may remember we were on the ground floor and our building was lower than some of the other buildings. It was a Sunday afternoon and we were mopping up well into the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moping up messes take me back to my army days when water got in where it shouldn't.
    Gee, thanks, Jackie. Just what I want to remember. :-(
    Today we're having a good hard rain, too, and I'd just put clothes on the line.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment